Tuesday, August 08, 2006

White Bible

Published in 2005 Lenten Devotionals, Triumphant Love Lutheran Church


Monday February 14, 2005
…man doth not live by bread only; but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live.
–Deuteronomy 8:3 (King James Version)


The tiny zipper around my white leather Bible makes a sound like a drum roll as I open it. “Holy Bible King James Version” it says in gold-embossed letters on the cover. The edges of the tissue-thin pages are also gold. Small and compact, it is the perfect size for my small hands.

Sometimes the language is poetic; sometimes it’s confusing. How does a ten-year-old tackle this all-important book? Who will be my guide?

The few times I attended church or Vacation Bible School with friends, I felt the power and depth of the Spirit. I was like a sponge, soaking up all I could, knowing I had only a limited time to take it in.

As I grew up, I learned more about the Bible and God’s love through many guides: people, classes, books. I’m especially grateful for dear friends who have guided me and have shown me how to be a guide to others.

I think about my attempts to help the youth of our church to understand the beautiful truths in their own Bibles. Maybe one of them has a white leather Bible like mine. Maybe they were confused by the language. Maybe I guided them to some understanding; I don’t know. But I do know that they have been powerful guides to me. The generations guide each other according to ability and need.

Dear God, thank you for your Word and your guidance in this world. Please teach us your way and help us to understand your will in our lives. Amen

Copyright 2005 Triumphant Love Lutheran Church

No comments:

Post a Comment