Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Yada, Yada

Published in 2003 Lenten Devotionals, Triumphant Love Lutheran Church

Friday, March 7, 2003
The next day again John was standing with two of his disciples; and he looked at Jesus as he walked and said, ‘Behold, the Lamb of God.’ The two disciples heard him say this, and they followed Jesus…Andrew…first found his brother Simon, and said to him, ‘We have found the Messiah.’”
(John 1:35-42)

Yada, yada, yada. I was so tired of hearing people talk all day at a series of meetings that I tuned out all conversation. All the way home, through airport after airport, I stayed as far from the TV monitors as possible. I dutifully called in to check at my office. “The rescuers got little Jessica out of the well!” my co-worker exclaimed. I had no idea what he was talking about. When I got home, I sat down and watched the hours-long coverage of the heroic rescue. How could I have been oblivious of this unfolding drama? How could the details of business decisions have drowned out a human drama like this?

Am I hearing the messages God wants me to hear? Have I tuned him out? Is there so much noise that all I hear is static?

Luckily, I have friends who help me keep up with important news and remind me of God’s word. Can I also be a messenger to others? As John and Andrew proclaimed the presence of the Messiah, so we must proclaim to ourselves, our families, our friends, our co-workers, and our neighbors of the presence (presents!) of Christ in our daily lives.

Loving Jesus, please help us to recognize your presence among us and to tell others about you. Amen.

Copyright 2003 Triumphant Love Lutheran Church

No comments:

Post a Comment