SxSW Interactive Session:
Jon Setzen, Creative
Director and Designer for Media Temple, jonsetzenstudio.com
Think Content First, Navigation Second
“Users expect immediate value the second they click on a link or land on a homepage.”
Content is the focus of user needs today. At most sites, we have to put up with a lot to get the content we need.
In order to create an immediate impression, your website must focus on:
- Creating stories: You’ve already got the content: showcase customers and tell their stories.
- Create the full experience: Focus on the why, not the how. Use visual and emotional keys, friends, discovery and sharing
- Communicate quickly and solve problems. Show your customers that you understand what they need to do with your product.
Tips for process
- Instead of starting your collaboration with mockups, talk about the characteristics and high-level goals of the site. Use mood boards.
- Show the product being used by relatable people
- Plan discoverability
- Why would they click on your site?
- Simplebits.com cites nesoupfactorysalem.com/menu-of-the-day/soups-of-the-day/ as his favorite site. It’s not fancy, skeumorphic, etc. but does its job perfectly – listing the soups of the day.
- Squareup.com — On the home page, they tell you what they you can do…accept ccs on your phone or tablet. They tell stories, solve problems.