The speakers were from Mass Relevance and trying to recruit!
Recap at http://www.massrelevance.com/blog/beg-borrow-or-steal-recap-our-sxsw-2014-presentation-creating-office-culture-folks-will-envy
What did you think of when you thought of your father’s office?
· mad men, gold retirement watches, cubicles
Now what do you think of?
· Comfort, fun
· Four-day workweek
· Kitchens everywhere (Google)
Do you have workplace envy? How can you build it at your office?
Beg borrow and steal!
· Beg...you and your colleagues must be vocal, you earned it
· Borrow the time when you need it…flexible vacation time, flexible working location
· Steal the best ideas from others
If you implement office perks, you receive from your employees:
If you do not act on employee requests, you will lose that trust.
Ideas to borrow or steal:
· The hour of awesomeness: an all-hands session where people talk 2-8 min on anything or demonstrate something they are passionate about.
· Ways to help to release the pressure: camp retreat to hang out, day off in the office to play video games and music, take a week to work anywhere, chef cooks breakfast, Tuesday night hack night, Fantastic Friday, Offsite team building.
· Desks on wheels, free lunches, family lunch, hack weeks, Beer and Brains on a Friday afternoon for people to brainstorm various ideas over beers and food.
· Sabbaticals for employees who have been there a certain amount of time. Some companies ask that you do a pet project/hack month or education.
· Flying remote team members into the office is well worth the expense.
See perks.io to see perks that hiring companies are offering.